Sunday, February 1, 2015

Other People's Children by Lisa Delpit

"To clarify, this student was proud of the teacher's 'meanness,' an attribute he seemed to describe as the ability to run the class and pushing and expecting students to learn." Page 37

     This quote really stood out to me because of how I fall into this. This is basically saying that students will have more respect for teachers that put their foot down. This can be considered mean however it isn't, it's just the teacher acting as a teacher. Being able to run and control the class is vital. Its hard for me because I have a soft voice and am afraid to be mean. Its something that bothers me because I want to be a successful teacher but I realize that requires a teachers voice. I've gotten better but still am afraid to be mean.


"The students became the experts in explaining to the teacher the rules for creating a new rap song." Page 33

     When students learn something really well, they have confidence and are more likely to be confident in helping others learn it as well. Having a student explain their own research to the teacher makes them feel good and like they really know something. It also gives the student inspiration to keep learning. I know that when I learn something well that I am proud, its a really good feeling that everyone wants to feel. Having the students teach what they learned is also a great way to get them engaged to learn more.  It is perfect to have a lesson plan to follow along.
  

"This does not mean separating children according to family background, but instead, ensuring that each classroom incorporates strategies appropriate for all the children in its confines." Page 30

     I am shocked that this needs to be said. That's really sad. No matter what, the classroom needs to be appropriate and useful to all students. That is one of the main goals and responsibilities as the teacher.This pertains to all aspects of teaching and will be a priority of mine as a teacher.



Lisa Delpit:

To bring up in class:
     This kind of upset me and I'm not sure how to take it. Does this bother anyone else?
"The biggest difference between black folks and white folks is that black folks know when they're lying!" According to this, whites are really terrible and have bad unconscious motives.

6 comments:

  1. great choice of quotes, i especially like the first one, because of the personal connection you made to it by talking about your voice and that you're afraid to be mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Josh's comment too! I like how you related it to yourself, as of which, I am really afraid to be mean as well! And I also like your second quote a lot too. I used a quote a few lines after that because I realized that a teacher and student can learn from each other, but I really like your view of it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are teachers out there that are mean just to be mean and there are others that are mean just because they want to push students to do their best. I had experiences with both of these kinds of teachers. The one that was just plain mean, I listened to what she said and what she assigned, but I had no personal respect. The other teacher that was mean and wanted to push her students is someone I grew to like and had deep respect. I guess it depends on your point of view. Like what you and Kaileen said, I am very soft spoken and am also scared of being mean to my future students. Yes, I want to push them to work hard, but in a more gentle manner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes the line between being mean and demanding respect and control in your classroom can be blurred. It's a difficult challenge to balance on the tightrope of authority and discipline. Thank you for sharing your personal thoughts and relativity to the text. I'm sure many of us can agree that it's a scary field to play, but coming out strong on the other end can result in a great class who respects your authority as a teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can completely relate to your situation in the first quote, I sort of had to learn the hard way when it came to putting my foot down in the classroom but before that I was very timid and it got a little out of control. Nice job with your quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the first quote you chose! Coming from a family of teachers, I always had to experience the classmates in my schools complaining if their teacher, especially my mother, was difficult and stern with them. But, it did make me appreciate when others told me later on how much they loved having my mother as a teacher because how while she was stern and always pushing them, it made them a better student in the long run. Good work!

    ReplyDelete